Note: This guide requires a 64-bit computer and Windows 10.
Install Windows Subsytem for Linux
- Press Win Key+R and run “winver”. Check that your Windows 10 version is at least 1803. If it is older, update Windows.
- Open Control Panel (not Settings). Navigate to “Programs and Features and click on “Turn Windows features on or off”.
- Scroll down the list of features and checkmark “Windows Subsystem for Linux”. Click “OK” and then “Restart Now” on the pop-up message asking to restart your computer.
- After restarting, verify that Windows Subsystem for Linux has been successfully installed by opening Command Prompt and typing “bash”. Unless you have already installed a Linux distribution, you should get a message saying “Windows Subsystem for Linux has no installed distributions.”
Install Ubuntu inside Windows
- Open Microsoft Store.
- Search for “Ubuntu” and click on “Ubuntu”
- Click “Get” and then “Install”
- Open Ubuntu from the Start Menu. A command line window should pop-up saying “Installing, this may take a few minutes…”.
- After Ubuntu has been installed, choose a username and a password for your Ubuntu account. Note: for your privacy, when you’re entering and re-entering your password, you won’t be able to see the actual characters.
Your command-line version of Ubuntu should be ready to use! You may want to learn some of the basic commands on the Ubuntu terminal.
Install Jekyll inside Ubuntu
- If you don’t already have a Ubuntu terminal open, open Ubuntu from the Start Menu.
- Run the following commands one by one (“sudo” means run as administrator on Ubuntu):
Create a new site
Ubuntu and Windows use separate file systems, but your Windows C drive is mounted on Ubuntu. Go to it:
You should be able to see all of your Windows folders on the C drive:
Create a new Jekyll site:
Basic git commands
Set your email:
Clone a repository from GitHub (find the clone address on the GitHub website):
Push your changes back to GitHub:
If you run into any trouble or want to learn more about something, there is a very useful website called Google which can help you!